Solar PV Secondary Heating Success – Final Trial Results Now AvailableNews
Posted by: electrical-poster 19th December 2017
Trial Results have shown that such an Electric Secondary Heating Solution can operate successfully with renewables technologies to achieve benefits such as more comfortable homes and a reduction in annual bills.
The Electric Heating Company worked with Delta-ee as an independent third party expert to support the analysis, evaluation of the trial results and prepare the final report in a publication following the completion of trials of the EHC Solar PV Ready Radiator secondary heating solution – the EHC solution.
This EHC Solution involves two Solar PV Ready Radiators operating in conjunction with a smart control device that can divert excess electricity generated from Solar PV to these specially adapted Solar PV Ready Electric Heating Radiators.
The nationwide trials of the EHC Solution involved 27 gas heated properties in total and covered a 12 month period. The final report has analysed the performance of the EHC Solution and found:
- The EHC Solution increased PV self-consumption on average from 22% to 64% (an increase of 42%).
- Tenants benefited from more comfortable homes, with an average room temperature increase of 3°C for rooms which had the EHC Solution installed.
- Tenants in properties with gas central heating benefited from an average estimated annual bill reduction of £42.44.
- If installed in electrically heated properties, tenants could potentially benefit from an average estimated annual bill reduction of £185.87.
- Significant carbon savings: 199kg for properties with gas central heating and 858kg for properties with all electric heating.
- Participant feedback extremely positive; ‘System is fantastic’; ‘Additional heat is a benefit’; ‘I feel the cold quite easily and now wouldn’t be without the system’.
For this higher level of comfort
You can download the full report here, including the comprehensive data collected as part of the trials.
The Trial Results show that such an Electric Secondary Heating Solution can operate successfully with renewables technologies and real benefits can be achieved.
With various UK Government and industry schemes being focussed on technologies such heat pumps, battery storage and EV chargers, EHC believes the UK Government should also give credence to technologies such as this solution, which can also operate with renewables and provide a real and immediate benefit to households at a relatively low capital cost.